This section of the website provides links and information on where to go to find CPD opportunities to help you develop the skills you need for your role and for your career development.
Whether you are looking to improve a specific skills, opportunities to learn more about your profession or whether you are seeking to become professionally registered, the organisations below are great starting places.
CILIP – CILIP is the UK’s library and information association and therefore a useful place to check for learning opportunities. They provide face to face training, webinars and e-learning as well as being the place to go to become professionally registered.
- Events Calendar – Browse all upcoming learning events from CILIP including skills training, webinars, conferences and other events
- E-Learning Hub – Many of CILIP’s webinars and courses are now made available via their e-learning hub. It is worth having a search here to see if you can access existing material on the area(s) you are interested in.
- Professional Registration – For information on getting started with Certification, Chartership, Fellowship or Revalidation
Health Education England – HEE is a body tasked with ensuring that the NHS workforce has the right skills to support the delivery of quality healthcare to patients.
- Knowledge for Healthcare – This site is also useful for finding training and examples of good practice on futher areas such as current awareness, resource discovery, knowledge management and information for patients and the public.
- The Learning Zone – The Learning Zone (hosted on the KfH site) signposts healthcare librarians and knowledge specialists to key online resources to support their professional and personal development. It focuses on three main areas:
- Generic Skills – https://kfh.libraryservices.nhs.uk/learning-zone/generic-skills/
- Specialist and Technical Skills – https://kfh.libraryservices.nhs.uk/learning-zone/specialist-and-technical-skills/
- Career Pathway and Vocational Skills – https://kfh.libraryservices.nhs.uk/learning-zone/career-pathway-and-vocational-skills/
Health Libraries Group – HLG is of course a CILIP special interest group. We are committed to providing a programme of CPD and learning opportunities for our members. Details of our events are also on the CILIP webpages and calendar. If you are a member you will receive a monthly newsletter or sign up to HLG Members discussion list for latest news and opportunities. You can also follow us on twitter at @ciliphlg.
New Library Professionals Network – This network is for new library professionals across all sectors, not just health. This page includes information on job shadowing opportunities nationally. You can choose to visit another health library to see what a day in the life there looks like or perhaps choose someone who is an expert in a particular aspect (e.g. cataloguing or resources) so you can find out more about what they do.
- Job shadowing list – https://nlpn.wordpress.com/job-shadowing-opportunities/
- For more information on job shadowing, visit https://kfh.libraryservices.nhs.uk/learning-zone/career-pathway-and-vocational-skills/job-shadowing/
Where can I learn more?
Training and learning opportunities are widely advertised on library discussion lists. If you haven’t already sign up to one (or more) of these to be alerted of upcoming training events.
Who can I contact?
If you have a question about learning opportunities or if you would like to add a resource to this page please contact HLG’s CPD Lead Lesley Allen at email@example.com
If you have a specific need not listed above contact your regional network lead or HLG for further help.