A knowledge and understanding of copyright is fundamental when working in all library and knowledge service sectors. Without it, both you and your organisation could be a risk of infringing copyright legislation and possible prosecution.

What do I need to know?

The NHS has specific copyright licenses with the Copyright Licensing Agency, and these set out what regulations you must follow. These licenses is reviewed regularly and updates will be publicised on local and national mailing lists.

The following links will provide you with the information you need to know:

Knowledge for Healthcare: – this provides information on the NHS license, NHS/HE crossover, posters and guidance documents. It also provides contact details for the copyright first responders, a group of copyright experts from various NHS library and knowledge services, who will answer specific questions you may have.

CILIP Copyright Hub: The CILIP Copyright hub leads to Naomi Korn Associates, Naomi does a lot of training around Copyright and works very closely with CILIP.

Where can I learn more?

The link to the Knowledge for healthcare copyright pages are a good place to start, and will give you the contacts for people to ask.

Look out locally and nationally for training and updates from HEE and other providers.

Who can I contact?

The copyright first responders (see above)

Local colleagues with more experience

%d bloggers like this: