HLG Nursing Bulletin Vol 35 (2)
York Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
HLG Nursing is taking the lead on producing the next edition of the Nursing Core Collection, and we are looking for your help. The titles and subject headings (tags) from the 2010 edition have been entered into LibraryThing. This list has been updated to include newer editions of existing titles, and exclusion of titles no longer in print. We would like to open up the consultation to all members of HLG and the nursing library community in the UK. The brand new, 5th edition of the Nursing Core Collection will be released at the Health Libraries Group conference in September 2016. For information about the process, keep an eye on the HLG website, Twitter, and for announcements via the JISC mailing lists.
Remember to consider the aims of the core collection when making suggestions:
Target audience – UK health libraries
Medium – Books only
Level – Material relevant to undergraduate, postgraduate and working health professionals, but not research workers.
Suggestions and comments should be made by 1st May 2016
The HLG Core Collections working group will consider and edit additional comments and suggestions and a print edition will be published by Tomlinsons in time for the HLG Conference in September 2016. A web version of the collection will also be available online either on Library Thing and a dedicated website.
How to contribute to the revised edition
- Go to www.librarything.com
- Log in :
- Username: HLGNursing
- Password: Nurs1ng
- Select the tab Your Books
- Click on
- To comment on the existing collection
- Click the tag/subject category of books you would like to comment on
- A list of books will appear. To endorse a title, double click on the comments box, add your text, and save. Please add your name to your comments.
- Please also comment if you think an item should be removed from the collection – but do not delete them!
To suggest a new book to the Nursing Core Collection
- Click on the tab Add books
- Search for your book using your preferred method e.g. entering title or scanning the barcode
- A list of titles will be shown on the right– the default catalogue is British Library, but if the title is not found, choose Search Elsewhere to select a different database
- Click on the title to add it to the Core Collection
- Your title will now be at the top of a list entitled Recently Added
- Click on Edit Book next to the title of your book
- You will now see a record for your book, Enter your tag for your book in the Tags box – write the tag descriptor exactly
- Enter comments in the Comments field, including your name and that this is a recommendation from you and a brief rationale. Please record your views even if another person has already made the same comment so that we can gauge the level of consensus on whether a book should be added. Don’t forget to save!
If you have any queries contact Margaret Scarce, Core Collections Lead firstname.lastname@example.org or HLG Nursing Working Group